Life events can be sobering. We mourn when sudden things happen like unexpected death that can leave a community stunned. Although talking about something traumatic or painful or how you feel can be overwhelming at first, the first step to healing after something traumatic is to talk about.
Here are a few suggestions if you are struggling to find the words or energy to be open:
1) Start by writing down what is going on inside. This will help bring a little more order to your thinking and help you feel a bit more in control.
2) Share just a little bit at a time. You don’t have to talk about everything all at once. Start by sharing a small detail or just talk about one of the many things you may be feeling. Bit by bit it will get easier to share how you feel.
3) Imagine yourself talking to someone like a therapist while in the shower or even to your pet. What would you say? How would you say it? Mentally rehearsing to something will help you find the words and feel more in control.
4) Talk to yourself about the issue while working out intensely while your heart rate is up. This will help “train” your mind to be in control even while you are physically feeling stressed and while cortisol levels are high.
5) Objectify the situation by putting it in a box and talking about it as if it’s a movie plot or another person’s problem.
Are you ready to tell your story?